- Wisdom teeth that have emerged partially are covered with a flap of skin. This flap of skin is more likely to be a breeding ground for infections since food debris can easily be trapped.
- In some cases, wisdom teeth have insufficient space to erupt. The teeth are then forced to remain below the surface of the gums which leads to great discomfort.
- Wisdom teeth infections can often lead to bigger problems. Tooth decay and painful cysts being two major reasons for discomfort.
- Poor alignment of wisdom teeth rubs the inside of your mouth at an awkward angle. This makes it difficult to speak and chew with ease.
- Wisdom teeth that have erupted perfectly or partially also increase the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
Do you have an infection?
In some cases of a wisdom tooth eruption, you might notice that your entire right or left upper jaw is swollen and irritated. The pain might intensify by the hour, your head might start hurting and the vision in either of your eyes may appear blurry. Swelling and worsening of pain is a concern for an infection. If you have fevers and your swelling worsens, you should consult your orthodontist immediately.
Some patients might even experience difficulty in breathing and pain while swallowing. This could indicate that you may not have an infection, but local inflammation to the tooth protruding through the gums.
How to attend to the pain immediately?
Eating cold food like ice cream and ice water will help ease the discomfort, especially in a situation where you are unable to rush to the doctor immediately. However, if the pain does not subside, you should visit your orthodontist to determine if there indeed is an infection and how it can best be managed.
Should you wait for Wisdom Tooth Extraction before getting Braces?
Wisdom tooth extraction makes the most sense when you want your child to get braces. This is certain because wisdom teeth affect the alignment of your dental braces and what you want to make sure is that the orthodontic treatment is effective. An untreated wisdom tooth increases the risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
An appointment for a wisdom tooth extraction does not necessarily have to be scheduled just before you get dental braces. And a lot of parents encourage orthodontic treatments at a younger age, well before wisdom teeth erupt.
Seeking the help of an orthodontist and getting an x-ray will help you determine if a wisdom tooth extraction is best suited to you since every person is unique and no two individuals will be recommended with the same treatment.
Book an appointment with an experienced orthodontist in Lawrenceville to help you treat yours or your kid’s wisdom tooth eruption with ease.