What is Invisalign?
Since its launch in the US, there has been a lot of hype surrounding the Invisalign treatment as this new technology has been recognized by dentists all over the world. So, what’s Invisalign and how has it changed the face of orthodontic care?
Invisalign is at the forefront of cosmetic dentistry technology. Unlike conventional braces or retainers, Invisalign is a virtually invisible method of straightening your teeth. The treatment requires customized, removable, transparent aligners that are fitted snugly over your teeth.
Metal Braces vs. Invisalign: How Invisalign Changed the Face of Orthodontic Care
- More Flexibility – With metal dental braces, once it is placed on your teeth, it must remain there until the treatment is finished. However, with Invisalign braces you earn flexibility. These braces are designed to keep your comfort in mind. You can take off the braces on your own without the help of an orthodontist for short periods of time – eating or drinking, and while cleaning, brushing or flossing your teeth. However, removing the braces for a longer period of time is not recommended as the longer you go without wearing them, the longer your treatment will last. So, remove them only when it is when absolutely necessary.
- More Comfortable Experience – Invisalign braces are clear braces that do not include any metal or wires. The braces have a smooth finish so that they do not damage the inside of the mouth nor cause any discomfort to you. The traditional method of wearing metal braces is known to put tremendous pressure on the teeth causing tooth decay. However, Invisalign is gentle on your teeth. You can get the desired results with no restrictions on what food you can eat thus providing a comfortable experience.
- More Effective and Faster Results – Although gentler than conventional metal braces, Invisalign braces do their work faster and more effectively. What metal braces can do for you in 3 years or more, Invisalign can do it for you in a year or a year and a half. With Invisalign, there is less scope of trial and error since everything is planned out well in advance with the help of software.
- More Teen Friendly – Invisalign aligners for teens are flexible, comfortable, convenient, invisible, and effective. Teens love the control they have over these removable aligners. Children or teens can remove the aligners off and put them back in to adjust the fit. The aligners for teens have an indicator that lets them know for how long they need to keep the aligners on in a day.
The Invisalign process: What to expect?
Your family orthodontist will decide whether or not you are a candidate for Invisalign treatment. Once that’s done, x-rays and impressions of your teeth are taken to create a 3D image of your teeth. This image is used to map the exact movement of teeth that is required to correct them.
Once you start the treatment, every 2 weeks, a new set of aligners will be given to you. Each new set is a step closer to your desired outcome. A checkup will be scheduled with your orthodontist about every 6 weeks. At every stage of the treatment, you should be able to see the progress.
Some things to keep in mind:
- You need to wear the aligners for at least 20-22 hours a day, otherwise, you risk delaying your treatment.
- You need to take care of your Invisalign clear braces. It’s easy – brush them and rinse them with warm water.
Invisalign braces have been revolutionizing orthodontic treatment and care. These braces provide powerful results with little or no interference in your daily life. Schedule a consultation with an orthodontist in Lawrenceville to find out more about Invisalign.
Contact Koch Orthodontics today!